A well-established niche publishing house has a vacancy (May 2017) for an editor position to spearhead South Africa’s leading pet, companion animal and wildlife magazine brands.
In addition to having a love for animals and caring for their welfare, you need to be an energetic go-getter who has the drive, passion and ambition to take this brand to newfound success levels. This position calls for a person who is well informed, seeks to be always be in the know, has a passion to educate and and inform, is a stickler for keeping deadlines, the successful incumbent should meet the following requirements:
- Have a relevant tertiary education or at least three – five years journalism experience, preferably in a magazine publishing and online content environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- The ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Exceptional writing skills; with an engaging style and tone
- Good grasp and firm knowledge of social media (not negotiable);
- Own reliable transport and valid driver’s licence essential;
- Be a team player;
- Knowledge of the pet ownership industry as well as established contacts in the industry will be highly advantageous.
- Networking and contact making must come easy – gregarious and confident personality is a must.
- Assume overall editorial direction and content curation of the magazine across all platforms (print, social media and digital)
- Ensure that the magazine adheres to its editorial policy and reader requirements
- Conceptualise article and feature ideas
- Liaise with contributors and ensure they meet deadlines
- Work within the allocated magazine budget
- Work closely with other departments to ensure that the magazine is published within the stipulated deadlines
- Be a brand ambassador for the magazine at media functions and launches
- Interact with industry clients, associations and professional bodies
- Creatively review and proofread all content
- Work closely with the brand’s team to conceptualise marketing, advertising and PR opportunities for the magazine
“Content curation is the process of choosing the most relevant information to meet your readers’ needs on a specific topic, like a good editor or museum curator. Content curation requires more than just the selection of information. It’s assembling, categorising, commenting and presenting the best content available tailored to the best media platforms to suit the audience.”